St. Matthews prides itself on a strong music ministry being central to our worship life. The Lutheran tradition of congregational hymn singing and liturgical music highlights scripture texts, organ music adds character and depth to the church season, and the experienced Adult Choir leads songs of praise.
If you would like to hear some of our recent musical selections audio files have been posted to the Special Music page. Additionally, some brief video clips of our services have been uploaded to a newly activated YouTube channel.
The historic pipe organ which graces the rear loft with its pipe facade majestically standing across the back of the sanctuary was originally installed in 1915. It was rebuilt by the Quebec firm Casavant Bros in 1943, designed and dedicated by Healey Willan, a notable figure on the Canadian organ scene in the 20th century. The rebuilt organ moved the set of chimes to the newly created echo division which was installed beside the pulpit but played from the main console at the back. This 1943 instrument was comprised of 52 stops and 2,658 pipes. A renovation project in 1992 added 300 new pipes for two additional stops on the four manual instrument.
Wooden facade pipes (non-speaking) and carved wooden angels were placed in front of the echo organ and above the original location of the baptismal font (on the other side of the chancel). The angels symbolize the call of the trumpet at the end of our time. The angels were made by the Globe Furniture Co.